Re: Boot managers

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Tony wrote:

> Now, I want to know how I can set up some kind of boot manager to select
> between DOS partition and the Linux, so I don't keep having to stick the
> floppy in.  I CAN do this right?

Other people have given you lilo advice so I won't bother here.  lilo has
an excellent manpage.  You might also want to look into loadlin.  It lets
you boot linux from dos (and Win95 if you check the advanced "run in MSDOS
mode" box)  It just shoves DOS away and boots itself, rather neat, but it
doesn't always initialize hardware perfectly.

> I'm still very confused on how to use this Unix thing.  better go borrow
> some books from the library.  Is there a "Linux for dummies"?  =)  However,
> I am proud to say I am a Linux user!

There's a UNIX for Dummies, though I've never read it so I can't give you
a review.  Many people I know rave about "Running Linux" by O'Reilly.
Since I already had some DEC OSF/1 experience I got O'Reilly's Essential
System Administration which has been invaluable in my quest to never boot
windows again!

-Dan