Re: "Segmentation fault" installing Debian

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Tony wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I have a Compaq Contura 3/25 notebook, 386SL, 6mb RAM, 115mb HD.  I am
> trying to install Debian on a second partition created by FIPS.  The first
> partition is a 60mb for Dos/Win3.1, the rest for Linux.  However, in the
> install routine for Debian, when I try to "partition" the hard disk, the
> choice is /dev/hda.  When I hit OK on that, the screen flashes
> "segmentationfault" in the lower left and then goes back to the setup prog
> like nothing happened.  so I can't install Debian!  =(
>
> How can I get around this?  I can't wait to try it.

This isn't a great workaround, not even a good one, but I'd go to a prompt
and run fdisk (instead of cfdisk which the install starts for you).  Press
"m" for help, it's more primitive than cfdisk, but that's why I like it.
Depending on where cfdisk is segfaulting, fdisk could do the same thing.
Anyway, after you get a running system, you could try to figure out what's
going on (ie strace cfdisk) or that sort of thing.

good luck

-dan