Re: Network doesn't work

In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> AAAHHHHH!!!
>
> Well I made it back from Frye's and bought a Netgear Fast
> Ethernet NIC, a Netgear Fast Ethernet Hub, and I'm still
> using the Linksys pcmcia fast ethernet NIC for my laptop.
>
> I recompiled my desktop kernel to recognize the Tulip module
> for the new NIC.  It was detected, etc.  I ifconfiged (I
> think correctly because no errors).  Now when I telnet from
> my laptop to my desktop, I get 100% packet loss.  When I
> switch the configuration back to the way it was it ranges
> from between 88% and 97% packet loss.
>
> Do I go buy new cables now?  Is there a way to fix this.
> Thanks everyone.  Happy Valentine's Day.

The newer NetGear cards ship with a floppy that contains their
own version of tulip.c which is not necessarily the same tulip.c
that is included in your kernel tarball.

Replace the tulip.c in the kernel tree with the one included on
the floppy and recompile, reboot, etc.
Maybe that will work.

-Mitch