Re: [Fwd: HELP FOR A POOR FRENCH STUDENT WHICH TRY TO INSTALL LINUX]

Hello:

I'm a poor spanish newbie in this waters but I don't see any reply to
your message in the list, so here is my help:

I can't say so much about your system 'cos I'm a PC user, but this could
help:
1.- See the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO to check if all your
hardware is supported. You can reach the HOWTOs via
'http://www.linux.org' or via 'ftp.debian.org'. If your hardware is not
supported the following means nothing.
2.- Set up a new auxiliary partition on your hard drive, about 12Mb
should be enough.
3.- Download the main files to that partition. Choose a stable kernel;
you'll find it in '../stable' directory of the distribution in the ftp
site you're looking. I'm not sure what files you will need download
exactly, but I'm quite sure about the following:
  * INSTALL.TXT or similar
     this text file explains with more detail the installation from a
     hard drive partition wich is I'm recomending you.
  * resc1440.bin or equivalent.
  * drv1440.bin
  * base2_0.tgz (it has more than 6 Mb).
  * root.bin
  * linux
  * The programs that you'll need to launch the installation from the
    partition. In my case these files were LOADLIN.EXE and INSTALL.BAT,
    but as I said above I used a DOS OS.
4.- Launch the installation form the partition.

If all goes well you'll only need to follow the instructions on the
screen to install the base system.

This method had an advantage: it allows you to save money 'cos you've
got a copy of the files in the partition and you'll not need to connect
to the site to reinstall the system if the installation fails.

Now some basic concepts:
A floppy has 2 heads (or sides), 80 track on eache head, 18 sectors per
track and 512 bytes on each sector, so 2*80*18*512 = 1474560 bytes.

I think that a MAC OS and a DOS OS formats the floppies in the same way
so those numbers are correct, in any case a Kb has 1024 bytes so:
1474560 / 1024 = 1440 Kb = 1.44Mb

I hope this help. Good luck.

___

Even God discusses the details with the devil (anonymous)

Antonio A. Rivas  aeypil@teleline.es
STARTEG Project  aesypil@hotmail.com
___

THIBAULT GROISIL escribió:

> Asunto: HELP FOR A POOR FRENCH STUDENT WHICH TRY TO INSTALL LINUX
> De: tgroisil@minitel.net (THIBAULT GROISIL)
> A: MIKAELF@COMENIUS.SE
>
> First I'd like to tell you that I'm a french student who use a "minitel" so
> I apologize for the bad page setting and for
>  all the english mistakes I could make ;
>  because I use a "minitel" please d'ont
> send me joined files with E-mail : I wouldn't be able to read them !
>
> So I tried to install Debian/m68k GNU/Linux 2.0 (with Penguin-1.5) on my
> LC475 (
> 12MB RAM, 250MB internal HD, 8x external
>  CDROM and System 7.5.1 installed). I tried to follow the instructions
> describedin the file Debian/m68k 2>0 installation
> , so I format my HD with 1MacOS partition, 1AUX/Root&USR slice 0 (54568kB),
> 1A/UX Swap slice 1 (18432kB), 1A/UX Autorecovery (3072kB), and 1Free A/UX
> slice 3 (6
> 0MB) with the "Installation SC Apple FU1
> -7.3.5" application.
> First I launched Penguin prefs as demanded and the installation began... and
>  stopped : <<probably an unrecoverable SCSIbus or device hang>> (SCSI : 1
> host)then I put in the command line of Penguin : <<max scsi luns=0>> (with
> no spacebut the -, the minitel don't have this symbol!) and I reboot Penguin
>  : <<VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem)>> ; Y tried to put the swap on the
>  swap partion but it displayed then <<Kernel panic : VFS
> : Unable to mount root fs on 08:15>> (with max scsi luns=0 too).So what's
> the problem ??I thank you for helping me.I have to notice that the file
> base2-0>tgz is missing (i forgot to load it on the net!) but i don't see why
>  it could crash the installation here ; the 2 filesresd1440.bin and
> drv1440.bin couldn't be
>  out on a floppy disk because theis size
>  exceeds 1440kB (exactly 1474560B)
>
> Thank you.
> Thibault.
> at tgroisil@minitel.net
>
> --
begin:          vcard
fn:             Antonio Alfredo Rivas Ojanguren
n:              Rivas Ojanguren;Antonio Alfredo
email;internet: aeypil@teleline.es
note:           Cuaquier mensaje para el proyecto STARTEG utilizar la dirección aesypil@hotmail.com. Any message to STARTEG Project send it to aesypil@hotmail.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;-1
x-mozilla-html: FALSE