CD-ROM problems

Hi all,

I am experiencing problems with my CD-ROM drive under Linux.  The drive
is a Memorex CD-322E (aka Dysan) IDE that is on /dev/hdc.

The problem is I can't eject the drive once it's been mounted.  I can
supposedly umount it ok (no error messages show up or anything), but if
I press the eject button, nothing happens.  If I try to open it using
the 'eject' command, here is what I get:
	eject: CDROMEJECT ioctl failed for `/dev/hdc': Input/output error

I am able to re-mount the drive after umounting it and read from it.

dmesg contains the following lines that apply to my CD drives:
	hdc: CD-ROM 32X/AKU, ATAPI CDROM drive

	[ few lines deleted ]

	hdc: ATAPI 20X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
	Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.52
	hdd: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM DVD-RAM CD-R drive, 512kB Cache

	[ few lines deleted ]

	ATAPI device hdc:
	  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
	  Medium removal prevented -- (asc=0x53, ascq=0x02)
	  The failed "Start Stop Unit" packet command was:
	  "1b 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

I can mount/umount/eject /dev/hdd with no problems.  It's a mitsumi
8x/2x recorder.

I am running a mostly-stock hamm system with kernel 2.2.0.  I also had
this problem with the stock hamm kernel (2.0.34 (?)).  The drivers are
being loaded as modules.

I don't really have any problems with it in Windows other than the fact
I can't do any CDDA with it.

Any ideas?  Please let me know if you need more details.

Thanks!
Nate