Re: Sound card suggestion

In article <[🔎] 36C5C22B.8A53C129@golgotha.net>,
Randy Edwards <redwards@golgotha.net> wrote:
>What I'd love to have is some advice on a no-hassle sound card.  The card
>doesn't have to put out great sound -- most any noise will do.  By far the
>highest priority is for the card to mesh seamlessly with Linux.  Anyone have
>any specific suggestions for such a beast?

I use a soundblaster pci128- since it's a PCI card, there's no mucking
about with PnP (I eventaully got my vibra16 set up after discovering
isapnp and why sound drivers should be modules ;)) and the kernel
driver can reliably detect the card...

Unofrunately the driver, es1370, is still an "experimental" driver
afaik- I get loads of "dma timed out?" messages from kern.debug- but
NAS, sox, and mpg123/x11amp all work ;) However, it is just a case of
enable ES1370 support, add the module to /etc/modules and go!

SRH
--
Steve Haslam            Validation Engineer, ARM Limited, Cambridge, England
Life's been like dragging feet through sand