Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 12:21:44PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "r" == robbie  <robbie@scot-mur.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> r> On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 07:05:36PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
>
> >> Why bother with this. You should recompile your kernel anyway (to
> >> get a slim version that only has the things you use). With
> >> kernel-package, this is a breeze.
>
> r> I strongly disaggree with that. Thats like saying I should
> r> recompile X to have support for my video card.
>
> The kernel on the install disk has to support as many hardware as
> possible. It is a kernel for installation, not for daily use.
>
> It contains drivers for SCSI cards I don't own, for archaic CDROM
> drives for disk arrays, etc. pp.
>
> The kernel you recompile will be optimised for your prozessor type,
> and will only contain the drivers you need. Thous it will be faster
> and smaller.
no. It will be about the same size. Thats what modules are for. They allow
you to change the drivers without kompiling anything. We are obviously
talking about Potato, because slink is frozen. Potato will have kernel
2.2.x. The sound drivers in 2.2.x are built as modules, there is no
configuration required at compile time. They will even co-exist with the
alsa drivers, which are also modules.

> r> The idea of a distribution with binary packages is that you don't
> r> have to compile things to get them to work.  This should apply to
> r> the kernel aswell.
>
> With sound it is technically not possible. And beside that, you can
> use the kernel from the install disks, but it is not the best one
> possible for your computer.
There is also not much difference. The only things you can gain from
compiling your own kernel are cpu optimizations, and things like firewall
support or router support. Sound cards are much more common today than
routers and firewalls.  Maybe I am wrong about debian using modules for
all the drivers, but if they dont, why not? There is initrd so you don't
need a driver compiled in for your boot device.

Regards

Rob