Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 07:05:36PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "r" == robbie  <robbie@scot-mur.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> r> Why does debian not include sound modules in the default kernel package?
>
> Because sound in 2.0 kernels is not modular enough. IO, IRQ etc. have
> to be hardcoded into the kernel. Some option must not be set for some
> soundcard, whereas others have to be etc.
ok

> If you want to use the OSS Soundsystem in 2.0 a kernel, you have to
> recompile the kernel. Don't know about ALSA.
alsa is fully modular. no need to compile the kernel.

> For 2.2 kernels, The OSS can be modularised.
>
> The installdisks don't have room for this anyway.
Yes, I know.

> r> Or maybe a sepperate package with sound modules which depends on
> r> the kernel.
>
> Why bother with this. You should recompile your kernel anyway (to get
> a slim version that only has the things you use). With kernel-package,
> this is a breeze.
I strongly disaggree with that. Thats like saying I should recompile X to
have support for my video card. The idea of a distribution with binary
packages is that you don't have to compile things to get them to work.
This should apply to the kernel aswell.

Btw, Redhat have had modular sound drivers for a while afaik (but I have
heard they don't work too well).