Re: slink base Disk Files Too Large?

*- On 13 Feb, David B. Teague wrote about "Re: slink base Disk Files Too Large?"
> On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 servis@purdue.edu wrote:
>
>> *- On 13 Feb, art@luvmusl.net wrote about "slink base Disk Files Too Large?"
>> >      I recently tried to copy the slink base disk downloads
>> > (the ones for 1.44M floppies) to 1.44M floppies, but the floppie
>> > images were too large.  ...anyone else have this problem or know
>> > what might have caused it?
>>
>> The files are disk images so they can not be copied to the disk.  You
>> have to use rawrite2(on dos) or dd(on linux) to put them on the disk.
>> See the install documentation in the directory where you found the
>> images.
>
> If you try to mcopy the file to an msdos floppy, or try to cp the file to
> a mounted floppy, clearly the disk image will be too large.  You might try
> this:
> 	cp disk_image_name /dev/fd0
>
> I have used this to create install disks in the past. Has something
> changed?

Nothing has changed.  You are coping directly to the device as opposed
to copying to a mounted file system. The image files are complete disk
images in a raw binary format, including the filesystem.  That is why
they can not be copied to mounted file system. The file system its self
takes up space on the disk.

Try doing something like this on a blank formated disk that is in the
drive but not mounted:

<DISCLAIMER>
THIS WILL DESTROY THE CONTENTS OF THE DISK. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
</DISCLAMER>

cp <anyfile> /dev/fd0

Then try to mount it.  You can't because you have just destroyed the
filesystem by doing a direct copy to the device and not the filesystem.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net