Re: Losing Linux (Again!)

At 12:53 PM 2/12/1999 +1100, Stephen Lavelle wrote:
>Firstly thanks for all the help offered, but I am not much further. I would
>like to keep Linux but the person who will be using it can't handle it.
>Here's what I've done:
>(On a Toshiba T2110CS Satellite)
>With Linux still there!
>I used cfdisk to delete the Linux partitions existent and created a new DOS
>FAT16 Primary, bootable partition.
>I booted with a win98 start up disk in the a drive and then formatted the c:
>drive
>Now when I boot my PC I get the the message "missing operating" system
>I can still boot with the win98 disk in the drive and use fdisk:which says:
>
>partition status type volume label Mbytes system usage
>C:1           A      PRI DOS                  335      FAT              100%
>I'm at the end of my tether and further help would be appreciated.
>PS My MSDOS 6.22 set up disks will not boot properly and if i place them in
>the drive after having booted with the win98 start up disk i just get
>'invalid dos' version if i try and execute a command.
>There is no cd rom drive on the machine
>Regards,
>Stephen Lavelle
>Austanners Wet Blue Pty Ltd.
>~ Australian Tanned Wet Blue Leather ~
>110 Heales Road,
>Lara, Geelong, Australia
>3212
>Tel:++(03)52742232
>Fax:++(03)52742350
>mailto:auswetbl@mail.austasia.net

Here's what I'd try:
 1) Boot off a Win98 floppy that has the sys.com (or is it sys.exe?) and
the fdisk.com (or is it fdisk.exe?) commands on it (or alternatively, you
can run these commands from the hard drive).
 2) Run "fdisk /mbr". This will "partition" the master boot record.
 3) Then run "sys c:". This will copy the system files from the floppy to
the hard drive.
 4) Pop out the floppy and reboot. You should be in business.