Re: dselect, dpkg, apt, gnome-apt???

MacKenzie, Andrew <Andrew.MacKenzie@Cognos.COM> writes:
AM> My only real problem is the methods of keeping current.  I install
AM> packages using dpkg -i <packagename>.  I find the .deb packages on
AM> the ftp site or other sites, download them then install.  If there
AM> are dependencies, I go looking for the required packages and
AM> install them.
AM>
AM> Is this the right way to do things in Debian?  I gave up on
AM> dselect because of the huge number of packages you must look at.

dselect should give you the same list of packages you can find on the
FTP site.  IMHO it's marginally easier to use than FTP'ing packages by
hand; YMMV.

AM> I tried apt but it told me some of my packages were configured
AM> wrong and would not go on.  How would I change this?

'dpkg --configure --pending', perhaps?  'apt-get -f install', if it
complains about dependency problems.

AM> Also, gnome-apt, do I need gnome to run this?  I have KDE 1.1 and
AM> like it.

gnome-apt depends on the GNOME libraries, yes, though you don't
necessarily need to run anything else out of GNOME.  The GNOME and KDE
libraries shouldn't conflict.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"