Re: NCR53C8xx Problem

On 11 Feb, Tim Buller wrote:
> A bit more info...
>
> It looks like the problem is being caused by the hot-swappable SCA bay
> that is part of the Intel Astor Chasis in which this system is installed.
>
> Info from the Symbios boot-up sequence:
>
> SCSI ID = 0 6
> Vendor = ESG SHV
> Device = SCA HSBP M5
> Sync = No
>
> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Tim Buller wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install on a Dual PII 450 Intel 440BX-based system. This MB
>> has an integrated Symbios SYM53C876 SCSI controller, which uses the
>> NCR53C8xx SCSI driver. The 2 9GB drives are recognized by the BIOS, and by
>> the "integrated Symbios SCSI utility". Booting from the rescue disk (I've
>> tried the current disks from hamm, slink and potato), the kernel
>> recognizes both drives, and then goes into fits of the following until it
>> is rebooted or turned off:
>>
>> ncr53c875-0: copying script fragments into the on-board RAM
>> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 23) time out - resetting
>> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
>> ncr53c8xx_reset: pid 23 reset_flags=2 serial_number=$INC \
>> 	serial_number_at_timeout=$INC
>> ncr53x875-0: restart (scsi reset)
>>
>> $INC is an integer that starts out 0 and increments by 1 each time this
>> sequence is printed.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can pass to the NCR538xx driver to get it to work? Or
>> other ideas?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> 	Tim

I'm not so sure that it's caused by the bay; I have a Diamond Fireport
40 (SYM53c875J-0), also in a dual PPro, and I get the same messages with
any of the 2.2 kernels, but not with 2.0.34.  I haven't tried anything
between 2.0.34 and 2.2.0.  I've tried shuffling my devices around, even
removing most of them, and it hasn't made any difference.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College