Re: dselect, dpkg, apt, gnome-apt???

Hi, I´m new on the list and with Debian, please forgive my english from
now on :-)

"David Z. Maze" wrote:

[snip]

> dselect should give you the same list of packages you can find on the
> FTP site.  IMHO it's marginally easier to use than FTP'ing packages by
> hand; YMMV.

I'm having trouble to reach debian ftp's site from dselect.  My machine
is behind a firewall and a RH5.2 proxy server running squid.
It simply doesn't connect!

> AM> I tried apt but it told me some of my packages were configured
> AM> wrong and would not go on.  How would I change this?
>
> 'dpkg --configure --pending', perhaps?  'apt-get -f install', if it
> complains about dependency problems.

I've installed libc6 running dpkg -i <package>, and now it fails
installing any other package from dselect or even dpkg because it looks
for libc5.  How do I update the dpkg database.  I tried with 'update'
from
dselect but it didn't work!

Thanx in advance.

Orco