Re: xterm & rxvt

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, oneiros wrote:
>Thus spake Shao Zhang (shaoz@unsw.edu.au):
>> 	I have one xterm & one rxvt open. But when I typed the command
>> 'w', I have only got one entry:
>> USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
>> s2193893 ttyp0    :0.0              9:28pm  0.00s  0.47s  0.07s  w
>> 	The other entry from rxvt is somehow missing.
>> 	Is this normal??
>You'll need to compile it with the --enable-utmp option, otherwise it will not
>create the utmp entry that w(1) and a number of other utils look at to see the
>login records.  Plus, in order to write to utmp, the rxvt binary needs to be
>suid root.  utmp should never, ever be writable to anyone but root, so the
>suid is needed in order for it to make this entry.  Thankfully, it gives up
>root privileges immediately (before the window even opens), it there's no need
>to worry.
>Type rxvt -h to see if it's compiled in.  The list of compile time options are
>listed in parenthesis to the right of the version.

Hmm dont believe I've ever had to recompile rxvt to have this. I'm running
95% hamm including hamm rxvt. Simply start rxvt with the -ls option..
man rxvt
    -ls|+ls
	Start as a login-shell/sub-shell;  resource  login Shell.

[timberwolf:adren:~$]> date
Thu Feb 11 07:56:56 EST 1999
[timberwolf:adren:~$]> rxvt -ls&
[2] 13311
[timberwolf:adren:~$]> last -1
adren    ttyp7        :0.0       Thu Feb 11 07:57   still logged in
[timberwolf:adren:~$]> w
adren    ttyp7    :0.0           7:57am  1:11   0.36s  0.36s  -bash
		(with others....)

Hope this helps