KDE 1.1 donīt install under hamm

Hi friends!

         This is the first time I write here. Sorry for it is a problem that
bring me to write this one, but... Debian life is Debian life...
         I´ve installed Debian 2.0 about a month ago, and I love it. It is
very much better than Slackware that I ran before, or RH that I tried before
Debian.
          I´ve installed Gnome (0.30) which I get from ftp.gnome.org in .deb
format. It worked great, but it was not KDE (which I love), so I decided to
install KDE.
         I downloaded KDE 1.1 from ftp.varesearch.com which I get in .deb
format too. When trying to install (dpkg -i kdelibs2g_1......) it returns a
message that sounds like "subprocess: gzip -dc: it isn´t in gzip format" or
something like that, and quit.
         Can someone help me?

         []s, TIA

                                           Pablo Lorenzzoni