Re: Need help with Leafnode/Netscape

Dave Swegen wrote:

> You could try going into /etc/hosts.allow and changing the hostnames for
> leafnode so that they use numeric values instead (ie change 'localhost' to
> '127.0.0.1'). HTH
>
> Cheers
>         Dave
>
> On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 04:03 -0600, John C. Ellingboe wrote:
> > I am unable to connect to my Leafnode server from my workstation
> > running Netscape.
> >
> > I an running a server system with Debian hamm and some slink packages
> > advised by security advisories and a workstation with hamm and some
> > slink packages including Netscape 4.06.  I have installed and
> > configured Leafnode version 1.4 on my server system.  When I try to
> > connect to it from my workstation system I get the following message
> > from Netscape.
> >
> > An error occurred with the News server.
> >
> > If you are unable to connect again, contact the administrator for this
> > server.

Is it right that you are running netscape on a different machine to
leafnode?

I think by default it blocks all access except access from the same
machine (so people out there don't use your machine to spam).

If you haven't changed your hosts.allow to include an entry from your
workstation (like leafnode: 123.123.123.123), you probably want to.

Frankie

--
Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is
good

	--Peter de Vries

http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and
links.