minor problems

Well, I've gotten hamm installed, and after a couple weeks it's ironing
out quite smoothly.  Although as I find more stuff I want to download, I
seem to be moving slowly from the stable packages to the unstable
packages, However rather than cause problems it's actually eliminating
them.

My biggest annoyance right now is that in X the screen randomly blinks
when I move the mouse.  I've began to ignore it a little, but it's still
there.  The screen refresh rate is set lower than I normally have it in
winblows, and if I try to increase it xvidtune tells me that my hardware
doesn't support the mode I've chosen.  However, it runs fine with lower
refreshes normally, so I don't think it's the problem.  If anyone has
any idea what causes this and how I would fix it, I would be quite
greatful.

Another thing in X is that I can get the mixer set so that the sound is
absolutely perfect, however when I reboot the system the settings all
return to default.  Is there anywhere to force it to save the settings,
or some file I could manually edit to force them?

Now, Out of X, linux seems to be only recognizing 64 megs of ram, when
in actuality I have 96.  It hasn't made a significant decrease in
performance, but still it would be nice to have the extra ram.  How can
I fix that?

The other problem I'm having is that the ftpd doesn't acknowledge my
symbolic links.  I have ShowSymLinks on in the proftpd.conf, and I have
several symbolic links to other parts of my system in the /home/ftp
directory that don't seem to be useful.  They work fine in shell mode,
just not in ftp mode.  I'm not sure if there's somewhere I need to allow
those other directories so the symlinks will work, so please let me know
how to fix this if possible.  Thanks.

                                                    Thanks for any