Re: Do you still need screensavers these days?

Kirk Hogenson wrote:

> Someone once told me that powering-up & powering-down a computer used
> lots more power than just leaving it on, so if you use your computer
> a lot during the day, it is better to just leave it on overnight.

Nonsense.
Perhaps wear and tear matters, but electricity usage doesn't add
up.

It takes about 1 minutes to boot up a PC (a few seconds to
actually spin up the disks and so forth).  Leaving it on for 12
hours takes 720 minutes of electricity.  If the boot-up process
increased load by 720 times, the power supply in the PC would be
either overloaded, or it would be very big, or power consumption
while iddle would be next to nil.