Re: XFree86 Support for Muliheaded boxes

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 13:11:03 CST, Chris Frost wrote:

> I have a Matrox Mill II and am thinking of buying a Matrox G200 to add to
> my box so that I could use two monitors on the same machine. Does XFree86
> support this yet? I've seen talk of it for AccelX, but not really any for
> XFree.

  Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about XFree86
  http://x.physics.usyd.edu.au/FAQ/index.html#TwoCards
  Q.A15- Can I use more than one video card in the same machine with
  XFree86?

  Although it is technically possible to use multiple PCI-based SVGA
  cards in the same machine, none of the servers currently support
  this.

  The VGA16 and Mono servers are both capable of running both a VGA
  compatible card and a non-VGA compatible monochrome card in the
  same machine.

  For XFree86-4.0 we are working on true multi head support.

However, if you don't want to wait and you don't have the $150 to spend
on Accelerated X, you might try Metro-X Enhanced Server Set 4.3, which
offers mult-head support for Matrox cards, as long as only one is a
Mystique, for $39, in .tgz or .rpm formats.

  http://www.metrolink.com/metrox/ess.html

--
David
dstern@u.washington.edu