Re: suspicious connections

In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> I have a stand-alone machine, with dialup ppp connection (using diald).  I
> think someone was trying to hack me today, and I'd like advice on how to find
> out whether they succeded, and what to do about it.  I'd also appreciate
> suggestions on the easiest way to prevent, or at least monitor, such activity
> in the future.

You can get the iplogger package, which will log every tcp connection made
to your machine.  The lsof package is also useful for finding out if a
service is running on a port on your own machine.  I believe lsof is
kernel version dependent, so you may have to expirement some....

example:
[bash]$ lsof -i :22
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF INODE NAME
sshd    32211 root    6u  inet 0x0149ac0c      0t0   TCP *:ssh (LISTEN)

Also, if you are paranoid, I would suggest getting the tripwire package.
This will monitor your system for changed system files.

-Mitch