Re: Mailman not doing his work: smail won't deliver anything

On 06 Feb 1999q, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I have smail set up on my laptop. Neither internal nor external mail is
> sent. In /var/log/smail/logfile I find the reason for Xdefer is:
>
> 	router inet_hosts: BIND server failure: Connection refused
>
> Also:
> 	Xfail:  reaspm: transport local: failed to open output file:
> 	Permission denied
>
> The internal messages are sitting there in /var/spool/smail/input but runq,
> etc. doesn't make them go.
>
> I seem to remember something of the sort when I set up my desktop about a
> year ago but I can't remember the solution!
>
> I've checked hostname, hosts, resolv.conf, and the permissions and
> ownership on /var/spool/mail, /var/spool/smail, and everything else I can
> think of. As far as I can see they are identical on both machines.  Can
> anyone suggest where the problem may lie?
>
> Anthony

Well, as no one offered any solution to this, I thought I'd post it myself,
having found where the problem lay: I had an incorrect hostname in
/etc/smail/config.  (Well, surely I can't be the only one???)

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)