Mailman not doing his work: smail won't deliver anything

I have smail set up on my laptop. Neither internal nor external mail is
sent. In /var/log/smail/logfile I find the reason for Xdefer is:

	router inet_hosts: BIND server failure: Connection refused

Also:
	Xfail:  reaspm: transport local: failed to open output file:
	Permission denied

The internal messages are sitting there in /var/spool/smail/input but runq,
etc. doesn't make them go.

I seem to remember something of the sort when I set up my desktop about a
year ago but I can't remember the solution!

I've checked hostname, hosts, resolv.conf, and the permissions and
ownership on /var/spool/mail, /var/spool/smail, and everything else I can
think of. As far as I can see they are identical on both machines.  Can
anyone suggest where the problem may lie?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)