Re: Help with smbfs?

> Eliezer Figueroa hat gesagt: // Eliezer Figueroa wrote:
>
> > I want to use a debian box to open a share in a win95 machine. Someone
> > told me that in order to open shares I do not need samba, that I only
> > need smbfs.

Frank Barknecht:
> I think you need at least the SMB client software called smbclient.  It
> is included in the debian package for samba.

I don't think you *need* smbclient, smbmount ought to be sufficient (and
comes in the smbfs package), but it's probably a good idea to install samba
at least for testing.

smb-nat may also be useful; while it claims to be a tool for checking out
security, in fact what it does is find out all it can about things, some of
which is very useful info that'll come in handy.

You need to have the the smbfs filesystem in the kernel (module or
compiled-in). You can check that by looking at /proc/filesystems

When everything is ready, you issue the smbmount command. Remember that its
options go at the *end*, not the beginning like in everything else.

You may find that directory listings are incomplete. I haven't solved the
problem yet, but I'm told that recompiling the linux kernel with the W95
bug workaround enabled will do the trick, or else I'll need to get service
packs from MS.

HTH

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently