Re: Extreme Security Suggestions?

Timothy Hospedales:
> I am wondering what is the recommended way to secure a sizeable volume
> (0.5-2GB) of confidential data such that it is non-retreivable/unusable
> even in the event that a hacker has gained user level or <shudder> root
> access?

Removable harddisk? Hardware encryption?

If a hacker can repeatedly gain root access, theoretically there's not much
you can do, because he can subvert the mount program (or whatever asks for
the passwords) and md5 (or whatever is used to check integrity).

If you are worried about the disk being stolen, encrypted FS should do the
trick (unless the password can be obtained some other way).

Probably the best way to secure it would be to have the confidential data
on a machine that is well secured and not on the network.

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently