Re: Extreme Security Suggestions?

Timothy,

There are a few encrypted filesystems for Linux.

Ones aimed at distributed filesystems (NFS replacements):
- "CFS", which has been packaged and is available from non-us.debian.org.
- "TCFS", http://tcfs.dia.unisa.it/

I used CFS several years ago and it seemed to work well.  My only
complaint was that triple DES was a bit slow on my 486/33.

Another approach which I am currently using involves patching the
kernel to provide kernel level encrypted filesystems.  I have updated
a patch for kernel 2.0.36 which was originally released in 1996 for
kernel 2.0.11.  I have gotten good results with this using IDEA
encryption on systems ranging from a 486/33 to PII-350.

There are now encryption patches available for the new 2.2.x kernels.
ftp://ftp.kerneli.org/pub/linux/kerneli/v2.2/patch-int-2.2.1.1.gz
will add encryption to linux 2.2.1.  I have not used this patch yet,
but I will give it a try as soon as I update to slink and have a
2.2.x compatible system.

When unmounted, the ability to scan the raw partition will not give
your cracker any useful information.  If they are really determined,
they could scan raw /tmp and swap partitions for traces of sensitive
data.  Whether this is an issue depends on your required security level.
When mounted, a root cracker would be able to read the all files on
the partition.  Mounting the partition requires a passphrase.

The kernel approach will require patching and building custom versions
of the kernel and mount programs.

If you want more detail on these, let me know,

John