Re: SAMBA question

 On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 01:39:12PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> At 11:02 PM 2/3/1999 +0100, Daniel Elenius wrote:
> >Hi. I would like to create one public and one password-protected samba
> >share on my computer. I managed to create a public one with:
> >
> >But how do I create the private share? Where do I set the password?
Samba doesn't really know the Windows security scheme very well, where there
is a password for every service instead of password for every user as it is
common in Unix.

There are several possibilities:

a) set security=user

Now every Windows user has to log into the network using a valid unix
username and the corresponding password. This is good if the windows people
use few and sensible names to log into their machines. This way, their
windows login serves as login for the Samba accounts too and they are never
asked for a password again.

Note that for encrypt passwords = yes (needed for Windows NT SR 3+ and
Windows 98) you will need to set the passwords not with the system passwd
but with the samba supplied smbpasswd. Both authentcations schemes use
incompatible hashes. You will still need a valid Unix user for every Windows
user.

b) set security=share

This tries to map the windows security model (one password per service,
independent of the user using the service) to the unix security model, i.e.
it will try to validate the given password against a certain (or several)
unix password, i.e. you have to set the password with the unix passwd
command. (Or with smbasswd if you use encrypt password = yes)
Against which one? You may specify it with the USER option, so your share
could be created with:

security = share

[Private]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/samba/private
   public = no
   user = private

and you need a unix user "private" whose password is the password of the
share. Sounds complicated but it has a lot of advantages. Remember Unix is
multiuser.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *