Re: SAMBA question

-----Original Message-----

>At 11:02 PM 2/3/1999 +0100, Daniel Elenius wrote:
>>Hi. I would like to create one public and one password-protected samba
>>share on my computer. I managed to create a public one with:
>>
>>[Public]
>>   comment = Public Stuff
>>   path = /home/samba/pub
>>   public = yes
>>   writable = yes
>>   printable = no
>>   write list = @staff
>>
>>(ie. the example in the smb.conf file)
>>
>>But how do I create the private share? Where do I set the password?
>>Would be grateful for any help...

You need to understand the varieties of security on offer in SMB
networking, in particular the difference between security = user and
security = share.  Reading the smb.conf man page is a good idea also.
In any case there is no straightforward way, AFAIK, to attach a
password to a share in samba (despite the 'security = share' option).
When a user connects to a share they are allways authenticated by
their unix password.  So the user needs a unix account.  The password
is their ordinary unix password.

I suppose it might be possible to effectively get a share specific password
by creating a unix account specifically for the share, and using the 'force
user' option in smb.conf.  Actually I'm not sure if that option changes who
the user is authenticated as, it may just change who their actions are done
as.

In any case, without doing strange things, you cannot get the parrallel of
the Windows system whereby all users of a share use the same
password to access it.

Kent West wrote:
>I don't recall seeing a reply to this, so I'll give it a shot, with the
>disclaimer that I don't know what I'm talking about. I believe you have to
>set the password with the smbpasswd utility.

No, that is not correct.  The smbpasswd program is used when encrypted
passwords are used with samba.  Typically it would be when machines
running NT are the clients.  For arcane reasons detailed in the file
encrypted_passwords.txt file in the samba docs it is necessary for samba to
keep its own copy of the user passwords.  The passwords managed by
smbpasswd are still the passwords of users.  In recent samba releases
smbpasswd can also be used to change a users Windows domain password
from a unix host.

Andrew.