Why use xterm-debian?

Hi!

I've been annoyed for a long time now with the fact that Debian uses
xterm-debian as the TERM-variable. It can't surve any purpose for all i
know, if the purpose isn't to be as incompatible with other *IX
standards. Why not only use xterm-color instead?

I could always set TERM=xterm myself, but that create trouble for some
of the packages. And xterm-debian mucks with some programs that i
compile and install myself.

I don't know why they have started using this standard - but i sure
think it sucks. If anyone could give me a correct answer to WHY i would
be very grateful. Perhaps point me to some old discussion about it.

That's about the only thing i don't like with Debian at the moment. I
have been running it since Hamm was unstable and always used the
unstable branches and almost never had any big trouble with it.

Regards

// Marwin
--
| Björn Elwhagen aka Marwin             Finger marwin@arwen.mumin.nu |
| Student at Wexio University           for PGP public key.          |