Partioning HD with more than 1024 cylinders

Hello everyone,
	we just bought a brand-new computer which has a 18 GB (!) EIDE HD and I
want to put Linux on it. It seems to have 2028 cylinders and I chopped
of the space for Linux after the 1020th cylinder to stay under the 1024
cylinder limit for booting Linux directly from HD. When I start the
installation, I cannot (re)partion the HD. When I do it by hand, fdisk
(under Linux) will only deal with 1024 cylinders. What can I do to use
this HD with Linux in the usual way? Wait for Debian 2.1, use another
fdisk program?
	Any help and suggestions are welcome,
Gerald
  Dr. Gerald H. Ristow