Re: How to force re-installing a package?

Mamoun Alissali wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   I've done a very stupid thing taht removed the /bin/cat binary,
> so I think I have to reinstall the textutils package (is there any
> other/better
> solution?), but can't do it since it is marked installed/up-to-date. How
> do I force dselect to reinstall it?
>
>   Sorry for asking that question again, I saw the answer yesterday but I
> can't remember what it said and can't find the mail anymore.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   Mamoun

	If your trying to install the *same* version of textutils, dpkg
won't stop you, i.e. it doesn't mind.  Just do 'dpkg --install
textutilxxx.deb'.  If you are trying to install an *older* version
of textutils, then yes, by default, dpkg will not do that.  You
are trying to *downgrade* to an older version.  Here you would
have to force dpkg with a --force parameter.  In this case,
something like 'dpkg --install --force-downgrade textutilxxx.deb'
would work.

--
Ed C.