Re: minicom config (digression)

On  2 Feb 99 at 16:50, ktb <ktb@binary.net> wrote:

> am attempting to install mimicom.  I went through the configuration
> process and as root, the program at least starts the dialup process.
> I aborted because I didn't want to be on line while in root.

Don't know if this will help, but it might...

Minicom is a text based comm program, and doesn't start any internet protocols
on its own.  It might be possible to program it to act as dialer, and then have
it launch a separate internet protocol using some sort of a script, but Minicom
alone can't do this.  Therefore, there's no special danger from running it as
root, as you wouldn't be 'online'; at least not in the same sense that you'd be
online using 'pon'.