Re: Network problem

"Hersh, Harry" <Harry.Hersh@fmr.com> writes:

> I switched
> back to the X11 environment, and find that even though pon connects to my
> isv (I can ping ), none of my network programs will work: Netscape, ftp,
> cftp, etc. The all start up, and then just hang.

[snip]

Things to try:

Does ping work with a hostname and an IP address?  Do the other
programs?  Do they work from the console?  Do they work as root?  Is
/etc/resolv.conf OK?  Is /etc/nsswitch.conf OK?  Where do the programs
get hung if you use `strace' on them?  Do you see any network traffic
with `tcpdump -n -i ppp0' after you install the tcpdump package?  Do
you get any unusual messages when you start ppp with the `debug'
option in /etc/ppp/peers/provider?

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS