Re: Help with unzipping files.

> Nuno Donato wrote:
>   >Can anyone help me out with a problem.  I have downloaded some apps
>   >for linux, but they are compressed. Can anyone tell me how to
>   >decompress them.  Step by step if possible.
>
> There are various kinds of compression, usually indicated by the
> filename:

And, of course, *.deb, which can be installed using dpkg -i (if you really
want to, they can be extracted using ar, but there's usually not much
point).

After decompression, you have to install them. This is where having a .deb
file really helps, because it's automatic (so check that the program isn't
available that way). If you have an .rpm file is similar, but not as good
(for a Debian system).

Otherwise, you'll probably have to compile the application - a thing that
is usually set up to be automatic, but usually needs some fine-tuning
before it'll actually work.

Finally, you'll have to copy the compiled program somewhere you can get at
it easily (if you're going to use it more than about three times).

Jiri