X11 and fvwm2: how to set screen size

General question:

I have a Toshiba laptop (Portege 610CT)

I have v2.1 installed and running, X11 with fvwm2 running with good
screen resolution and 16bpp colors.

Currently the resolution is set to 800x600, but the display still thinks
that it is in 640x480 mode.  This causes a lot of dynamic scrolling to
get to border bars, etc.  When I had (*gasp*) Windows 95/98 on the
laptop, 800x600 was small, but perfectly legible without the "virtual
desktop" effect and scrolling screens.

The question I have is: Is there a way to force the X11 or fvwm2 to
"shrink" the virtual desktop to physical screen dimensions?

Any and all help is appreciated!

- BOHICA
--
One People, One World, One Program - Microsoft Promotional Ad
Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler