Re: Do you still need screensavers these days?

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 12:21:12AM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
> > With modern power-saving BIOSes, the thing can even turn the monitor
> > off (and power down the computer) if you've been away too long, saving
> > electricity and wear on your system.
> 	Great! This is what I did in Windoze. But how do I do it in Linux?
> Is there any kind of software that does this??
The XF86_SVGA X Window System server for example has the option "power_saver".
You can try it with "xset dpms force off" see man xset.

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Primary Card"
   VendorName      "Matrox"
   BoardName       "Matrox Mystique"
   VideoRam        4096
   Option          "power_saver"

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 16
   BlankTime       0
   StandbyTime     0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         10
   SubSection "Display"
      ViewPort     0 0
      Virtual      1920 1088

There is also a package xscreensaver and I start it in my ~/.xinitrc:

xscreensaver -no-splash -timeout 5 -xrm '*programs:bouboule -ncolors 256 -delay 2\
 -count 1000 -root' &

Dietrich Kraus