Re: hdparm

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Rob Mahurin wrote:

> I am trying to set up hdparm to put my hard drive to sleep after a certain
> timout (the -S option, I think it is).  I thought it would be prudent to go
> through and make certain that my hardware reacted OK before I set it up, not
> really expecting any problems.  "hdparm -y /dev/hd[ab]" works fine.  "hdparm
> -Y /dev/hda" works fine.  However, "hdparm -Y /dev/hdb" produces an error
> message something like
>
> hdparm: hdb: drive read status  0xff { BUSY }

Doc, it hurts when I do this.  Then don't do that.

If -y is ok, then -S should be ok.  If -Y gives you problems, maybe your
hardware doesn't support it.

> My third question (which is actually not an hdparm question, but more
> general and I haven't been able to find docs):  how would I get this
> hypothetical timeout to get set at boot time?

/etc/rc.boot/hwtools

Note: I took out -u and -m on my system because they caused some
corruption.

HTH,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~bhmit1 |
|  The above is a completely random sequence of bits, any relation to an   |
|                     actual message is purely accidental.                 |