XFree86 Almost Working...

Hi,

I am some having problems getting X to work.

I am using the mach64 server and it appears to autoprobe my card OK using
XF86Setup (The card isn't listed so I just left it to autoprobe the various
settings).

If I set it up to run with 1024x768 I get 2-10seconds of flickering rolling
lines and then screen suddenly starts looks OK. Is there a way of fixing
this? If I try and use a lower resolution it all seems to start up cleanly.
What is going on here? I put in my vert and horiz refresh rates from the
monitor manual but it still seems to do this.

I have an ATI Xpert98 card and a Dell D1028LR monitor. I am using X from a
hamm distribution CD. (If any of that is relevant...)

Any help would be most appreciated...

Ian Winter