Re: scsi tape

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 11:23:26AM -0500, David B. Teague wrote:

> > Questions restated: I need to move the data from the old machine to
> > the new one. I'd like to be able to use the tape drive and some of the
> > SCSI disks with a Bus Logic or other SCSI controller.  Will I be able
> > to use the disks unchanged on the machines with a Bus Logic SCSI
> > controller?  What about reading the tape drives?
>
> You'll be able to use them provided that the new machine uses the same type
> of SCSI.  If, for instance, then new machine is UW SCSI and the old one is
> Fast SCSI, you'll need an adaptor device to hook up the old device (unless
> your card also has a Fast SCSI connector).

There are adaptors that allow backward conpatibility all the way to SCSI
I, I know I am using a SCSI II controller on a couple of SCSI devices, but
when I moved from An Adaptec 1540A to eht 2840, I had to reformat all
drives, and I was desperately hopoing that newer controllers were better
behaved.

David