Re: scsi tape

On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 11:23:26AM -0500, David B. Teague wrote:

> Hi Debian Users:
>
> The question is: can I use SCSI disk drives currently running with an
> Adaptec 2840 SCSI controller with Bus Logic controller?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  There's not much point to
having two controllers on a single SCSI chain...

> What about SCSI tapes: can a SCSI tape made on a tape drive with one
> controller be read with the same tape drive run with another (SCSI)
> controller?  (Reason suggests the affirmative, but reason
> unfortunately does not always prevail.)

Yes.

> Questions restated: I need to move the data from the old machine to
> the new one. I'd like to be able to use the tape drive and some of the
> SCSI disks with a Bus Logic or other SCSI controller.  Will I be able
> to use the disks unchanged on the machines with a Bus Logic SCSI
> controller?  What about reading the tape drives?

You'll be able to use them provided that the new machine uses the same type
of SCSI.  If, for instance, then new machine is UW SCSI and the old one is
Fast SCSI, you'll need an adaptor device to hook up the old device (unless
your card also has a Fast SCSI connector).