Mutt & vim

I have a couple of questions regarding the configuration of mutt and vim:

1) How do I go about assigning different settings for vim, ie having
textwidth when composing mail with mutt, but not when coding?

2) Where do I change the syntax-highlighting colours in such a way that they
won't be affected by the next upgrade to vim (the default colours for some
apps is a bit dodgy - dark blue on black for instance)?

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.1.125
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request