Re: kernel 2.2.0

stephen.p.ryan@dartmouth.edu writes:
| On 28 Jan, Anthony Campbell wrote:
| > On a slightly different theme, will there be patches available to upgrade
| > 2.0.36 to 2.2.0, or do we have to start afresh?  As this would be a 12 Meg
| > download, it would take a long time and be expensive :(
|
| I'm afraid that enough has changed that you'd have a 12 Meg patch.
| OTOH, rumor on the developer list has it that the 2.2 kernel source
| will be included in slink, so it should be available if you get a slink
| cd (if you can wait that long :-)

In slink? I thought there were significant enough changes in 2.2.x
(2.2.1 just came out) that it wasn't possible to just pop a 2.2.x
kernel into a system that had been running 2.0.x and have everything
work? Is that a mistaken impression? I mean I ran a couple of the
2.1.12x kernels and I know I had to make some pretty substantial mods
to get my AWE 32 support to work, then I remember hearing about
problems with PPP and networking if your didn't have the latest
tools. Also, I remember when I was running the 2.1.12x kernels a
message about setserial being obsolete when I booted

So if slink is frozen, meaning nothing but bug fixes can be put into
the distribution, how can putting 2.2.x into it be justified? Please
don't read this as negative or sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious about
the process.

Thx,
Gary