"Could not find kernel image" and other install problems

Having managed a trial install of Debian, I'm trying to get the kinks out.

Original problem: The standard install had problems formatting and
recognizing my 13.6 Gig disk.
I assume this is a limitation of cfdisk.  I used fdisk from another window
and then rebooted to
get things going.  Because I wasn't sure all was well, and because I like
making things work, I thought
I'd try giving the loader the hard drive geometry.  Which led to ....

Second problem:  When I boot off the CheapBytes CD and type
hd=26353,16,63
It responds
Could not find kernel image: hd=23353.,16

I have tried some variants, including "default hd=....", and "hda=..." but
they all produce the same response.

I've found a few other messages with this error message, but none of them
indicate how to handle a standard install.  It sounds as if I need to say
xxxx hd=..... where xxx is some image name.  But I'm not sure what xxx is.

So I'd appreciate answers to any or all of the following questions:
1) How do I specify hard drive geometry to the loader for the inital install?
2) If I do specify such parameters, will it help cfdisk?
3) If I don't, but use fdisk, will the rest of the install be OK (as long
as I honor the installation guides warnings to activate paritions via the
installer GUI)?

P.S.  I preferred the greater control fdisk gave anyway, so I didn't just
have to put things at the beginning or end of my free space.