Re: "Could not find kernel image" and other install problems

Hi,

On Wed, 27 Jan, 1999 à 09:17:47PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Having managed a trial install of Debian, I'm trying to get the kinks out.
>
> Original problem: The standard install had problems formatting and
> recognizing my 13.6 Gig disk.
> I assume this is a limitation of cfdisk.  I used fdisk from another window
> and then rebooted to
> get things going.  Because I wasn't sure all was well, and because I like
> making things work, I thought
> I'd try giving the loader the hard drive geometry.  Which led to ....
>

> Second problem:  When I boot off the CheapBytes CD and type
> hd=26353,16,63
> It responds
> Could not find kernel image: hd=23353.,16

You should use linux hda=...
               ^^^^^ ^^^
               |     |
               |     name of the disk

               name of the kernel image

> So I'd appreciate answers to any or all of the following questions:
> 1) How do I specify hard drive geometry to the loader for the inital install?

See above

> 2) If I do specify such parameters, will it help cfdisk?a

I don't know, I'm used to fdisk

> 3) If I don't, but use fdisk, will the rest of the install be OK (as long
> as I honor the installation guides warnings to activate paritions via the
> installer GUI)?

Yes if you keep either / or /boot partition in the first 1024 cylinders in
order to uses lilo

Bye

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\