Re: Unsual system check

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

 : On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 01:42:25PM +0100, E.L. Meijer Eric" wrote:
 : > >
 : > > This is an unusual checking by my machine (this is all I could cut&paste),
 : > > has anything gone wrong here?
 : >
 : > [ output of regular fsck check ]
 : >
 : > This is not a bug, it is a feature.  After a number of reboots, your
 : > hard disks are checked by the fsck program.  The same thing happens if
 : > you do not shut down properly.  The `errors' that were found (deleted
 : > inode has zero dtime) are quite common.  They never caused any trouble
 :
 : I get quite a few errors usually when this occurs. Why is that?
 : To me, that indicates bugs in the file system drivers.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, but I believe it has something
to do with a daemon's log file not being completely cleared before the
system shuts down (as in `shutdown -h now').

I was told that the "deleted inode has zero dtime", or hwatever the
exact message is, isn't a big deal nor is it worth worrying about.
Other fsck errors are more worrisome :)

I wish I could find that original email.  I don't believe any of this is
caused by a bug in the fs drivers, though.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD