manual fsck

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 01:42:25PM +0100, E.L. Meijer Eric" wrote:
> > >
> > > This is an unusual checking by my machine (this is all I could
> > > cut&paste), has anything gone wrong here?

[snip -- Hamish's encouraging reply ]

Hi  Debian Folk:

I had an interesting experience with fsck I'd like someone explain to me.

I am still running bo on one of my machines.

The disk crashed. On reboot it found an anomaly, and wanted me to fsck
manually. I did. It wanted to "reset an inode" I said yes, (to several
such questions) and when the system came back up, Pine was seg-faulting.
There was no inbound telnet, ftp, finger, nor mail.  There was outbound
telnet, ftp, finger, and mail.

I have never before had anything like that happen, even with a manual
fsck. Nothing was put in the lost+found, either.

The elm mailer told me that there was an error in the smail config.
Actually, that file was gone, so I fixed that, and I found that here was
no in.telnetd. I reinstalled netbase and netstd, still no inbound telnet.
Then my sysadmin hacked the startup script (the script wanted rpc.portmap,
bo packages had portmap) and I'm up.

FINALLY The question is.... how can I know when I shouldn't let the
fsck clear an inode, and what are the consequences of doing so....????

--David Teague   dbt@elentari.cs.wcu.edu

Debian GNU/Linux
Because reboots are for hardware upgrades and new kernels.