Re: Can´t remove Kernel Modules

I haven't seen any responses to this one...

Quoting acop (wittner@uni-duesseldorf.de):

> I have a problem to compile my 2.0.34 Kernel without modules. Previously
> compiled kernels used ppp as a module. If I try to use ppp now as
> compiled in the kernel itself (even without doing 'make modules' / 'make
> modules_install) my boot messages indicate that the ppp module is also
> loaded.
> How can I prevent this "feature" ;-) ???

I'm not sure why you want to compile ppp in. You can get a similar
effect by just putting ppp into /etc/modules because you then have
to unload it yourself (it won't be autoclean).

> Another problem that has to do with the one above is the following...
>
> When I use ppp (regardless wether as a module or "compiled in") the
> first ppp connection runs perfectly well, but the second established ppp
> connection terminates after several seconds.
> Then my ppp.log file looks as follows (IP adresses removed):
>
> pppd[6278]: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
> pppd[6278]: local  IP address  ##############
> pppd[6278]: remote IP address  ##############
> pppd[6278]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x1 magic=0x81fa6952]
> pppd[6278]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> pppd[6278]: Modem hangup
> pppd[6278]: Connection terminated.
> pppd[6278]: Exit.

My reaction to this would be to look at the logs at the other end.
If that isn't possible, you could try adding debug to your options
and watching the LCP dialogue. BTW don't strip the times from your
logs. Is there a time interval between the 3rd and 4th lines you've
quoted, for example.

> I have no serious idea what kind of proxy is mentioned above - I never
> configured one..?? However the problem disappears when removing the ppp
> module with 'rmmod ppp' after the first connection (if there are two
> ppp´s present (that is one in the kernel and one as a module)) - thats
> why I try to compile my kernel with ppp "inside" but I simply can´t
> prevent the module from being loaded...
> Maybe some of you can help me !!

"Cannot determine..." is not an error message. You have the proxyarp
option set, but you have no network interface configured so there's
nothing to be proxy for. Is that the problem which disappears? I can't
tell from the wording of your message.

>From your logs, I can't see what sent SIGHUP. If the other end was
finished, I would expect to see "LCP terminated at peer's request".
If this end was (i.e. someone typed poff), I would expect to see
"Terminating on signal 15. / Connection terminated." which is SIGTERM.
But your Echo Request wasn't replied to, which might be the cause;
I don't know, it's not happened to me.

Cheers,