Re: fetchmail/procmail tears mail apart

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:36:35 +0100 (CET) "Christian T. Steigies"
> <cts@ap031.experimentalphysik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
>
> > I have a little trouble with fetchmail (hamm, 4.3.9-1), procmail
> > (hamm, 3.10.7-6) tearing mails apart.  I think I tracked it down,
> > when I fetch a mail containing a line with "From" in the text,
> > procmail sorts everything before "From" in the correct folder,
> > everything after "From" (the line with "From" is lost) ends up in my
> > bulk folder.
>
> This is due to a bug in early email implementations or caused by an
> attempt to expand a digest.
No digest, dosemu-digest is coming through unharmed.

> > Is this a bug or a feature? Is there an easy solution to fix this,
> > some commandline switch or config change for fetchmail or procmail?
>
> Unless the mail(s) in question were close to the minimal digest
> format, I'd say it is a bug.  Those buggy old email implementations
> shouldn't be around anymore :-)
What is a buggy old email implemantation? Are you talking about
fetchmail/procmail or the mail programm the sender is using?
Most of the mails which are torn apart are on the various debian lists, just
because of the high volume I guess. I have seen sometimes that a mail
containing a From line is changed to "> From", who should change the mail
ike this? fetchmail? procmail? Or the sun where the mail is delivered
originally? When I read the mail on the sun (Im no longer filtering there)
everything is ok, its only torn on the way from the sun to my debian
machine.

Ciao,
Christian.