Re: Can't start X on my Laptop ...

>The Linux-Laptop Guide
>(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/) had no useful
>information for me, at least none I could find ...
>
>I got the laptop with plain MSDOS 6.2 , so I cant look into the windows
>configfiles ...
>

>ok. Can anybody help me ? I'm lost at the moment.

Maybe.  Been there, done that a number of times, but I did get lucky.

Take another look at the Linux LT page.  You'll find there many references
to the timing parameters (the modeline) info.  Thats the secret.  I've
managed to get X working on a number of LT's by 'borrowing' modelines from
LT's that are cousins.  Choose a card that forces the use of the SVGA
Xserver, and plugin your borrowed modeline.  Edit XF86Config so it only
has one mode choice (640x480).  If you're real lucky your LT might be
able to do 800x600 but none I've tried could do that.  One chipset that
will definitely force the SVGA server is CL553x I think it is, and I use
that selection in other cases to force that Xserver to be the one
symlinked
to /usr/X11R6/bin/X.

Good luck!
Paul