Re: No Password for Root

On 23 Jan 99 at 13:11, Art Lemasters <dream@luvmusl.net> wrote:

>      The present situation is that the system is running slink
> (frozen), and logins to root can be made without a password while all
> other users require passwords.  I'm stalling remote users (volunteer
> projects) until this situation is remedied.

I recently had the same problem with Hamm.  'passwd' would never
accept anything I'd type.  Eventually through trial and error, I blundered into
this remedy, which may work for you:

As root run 'adduser'.  Make the username to add 'root'.  For me it complained
that it wouldn't add 'root', but then it asked for a password anyway.  I typed
it, and now 'root' has a password like it should.

I'm not really sure what caused this problem to begin with though.  I may have
hit <Enter> or <Ctrl-C> when being asked the first time; wish I could recall the
circumstances exactly.