Re: PGP question

J.T. Wenting writes:
> I believe you are allowed to use the US version yourself if you live in
> Canada, but any users who log in from outside the US or Canada will not
> be allowed to do so.  I think that in your case it would be best to use
> the international version (www.pgpi.com).

You are confounding two unrelated issues. Pgp-i may not be used in the US
because it infringes a patent.  The patent is only enforceable in the US,
so pgp-i may be used outside the US.  Pgp-us does not infringe that patent,
and so may be used anywhere.

Neither pgp-i nor pgp-us may be exported from the US because of US export
laws.  These laws have nothing to say about usage, though.  Users who log
in from outside the US can use pgp without violating the export laws.  They
just can't download a copy.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)